Q: My children and grandchildren keep asking me what I want them to give me for Christmas, but truthfully, at my age, I don’t need anything. How can I tell them this without sounding like I don’t care for them or don’t want them to bother me? — A.B.
A: Suggest to them that in this current economy, they might save money and/or help those who are less fortunate by doing one or more of the following:
- donate their time to a worthy cause in lieu of a gift
- donate money to a worthy charity
- offer their time to help you (e.g., cleaning, organizing, lawn work)
- schedule a regular time for family game night (for in-town family)
- pledge to keep in touch more often (for out-of-town family)
- promise to make you a special meal or baked good in the next year
- adopt an octopus
Feel free to leave your answer to this question in the comments.